Sunday, September 02, 2007

Adventures in Paradise




Being back in Melbourne makes the past few weeks seem remote now but I think I recharged enough with tropical fervour to get me through the chilliness of the weather back here etc.
Originally my visit was to look for property but M.O.T.H was up there in June when we got the information on the property we have purchased. The two men in the world who love me best inspected it (even though I was convinced already but didnt tell them that of course)and agreed with me. So my trip was more to inspect the property and do some research about future activities and just some time out with my mate.
Our dear friend met me at the airport and drove me back to paradise that evening and I was able to give him the quilt I had made for him. Seeing the look on his face when he saw it was a HUGE thrill. He has always been a supportive mate in all my crazy endeavours over the years but being able to give him a serious piece of work was a buzz.
We went sailing the next night and I managed to scare myself silly but survived the 'ordeal' although I learned that having your legs waxed a few days before and getting wet in salt water and letting them dry is definitely an experience I DONT want to repeat. OUCH!!!!!!
Earlier that day I had been given an opportunity to visit the house and meet the lady living there currently. She was very pregnant and we learned later that she had given birth to a little girl IN the house. Which is such a nice vibe for my new home to have for us to start our new lives in a place that has seen new life.
Some research on supplies and other stuff went on and I was able to have a good look in Cairns and Mareeba but the only thing I couldnt find was a place to buy my favourite middle eastern style breads - fresh not the supermarket versions so I must go and see my mate Sammy and organise to learn how to make it properly for myself.
But most of the time was spent with my mate on his boat or his verandah if we werent wandering around the countryside for me to poke around.
I was able to attend a tree planting day with a local co-operative organisation that is doing re afforestation work and that was at the neighbour immediately across the road from 'our' house. Learned heaps about their methods and different species of the trees they use and hopefully they will be able to collect seed stock from our place which is original remnant rainforest. All the work is co-operative and voluntary and it is good work.
I did spend a little time tear arseing as someone put it but less said the better on that ;-)
I will post more pics after this blog but needless to say now all I want is to be back in Julatten

No comments: