Saturday, October 18, 2008

Art, Gender and Textiles

Recently while making a present for my dear friend the Sea King - a personalised log book for his yacht which I have not yet photographed *blush*- I was musing on the almost inescapable fact that almost by virtue most of the work I do is largely 'feminine'. Although I have made him a quilt in the past - also for his yacht LOL- and things for M.O.T.H as well it is sometimes a battle to think of something for the guys.

Strange really because I am not a girly girl type.
But it raises interesting questions about the nature of gender and the allocation of art to some roles- although there are a number of male textile artists out there it is still very much an area of the arts that is dominated by women. Possibly another reason why in the larger Visual Arts areas it is lesser valued or dismissed as horror of horrors to that elitist ilk as 'craft'
Tracey Emin has lifted areas of our speciality into the realm of the mainstream art world but few others have made an impact such as her. Perhaps Annameike Mein is another but very few others have enjoyed the same profile in the larger art world.

All I can say is that the men in my life who love me have always been appreciative and supportive of my work. And for that I thank them and they can expect to get more 'girly' pressies in the future LOL
aaaargh I think too much!!!!!!!

No comments: