Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ginger, moths and the S word


Well after last week and just trying to keep on top of the workload at VU I didnt get around to blogging much.
I have to do some paper making for printmaking which has been fun and delightfully messy, I have done some test bits which I will photograph but I want to get onto making a mixed paper of silk fibres and pulp in the near future, Looking for ways of making deep dark colours in pulp so that the silk will really sparkle within.I've even peeled back some meleluca bark and boiled it up to make pulp although the blender was NOT impressed with that when I pulped it but the colour is interesting just to see if it works
One really exciting thing in the garden has been our ginger plant flowering. Here in Melbourne would not be considered prime ginger growing country but we planted some in the vegie patch last year and this year it has popped spikes which is amazing.
Even more glorious is the scent, completely magic and heady
Our suburb is rather strange because it has micro climate that can sustain frangipani and hibiscus. All of which this year have been spectacular despite the lack of water. But I must admit I cant wait to get to a climate where all those things are completely at home.
The fluffy kitty of the household has taken to coming to bed with us since losing her big protector. M.O.T.H. reckosns she is not missing him just taking her place as she sees it now but she has barely let me out of her sight over the past week and gets a bit anxious if I am not around. She is good comfort.
and about the only other vaguely exciting thing that happened was the discovery that my pantry was infested with bloody moths. It seems that they got into something in there and have been munching away happily on a block of Indian jaggery - they seem to love brown and raw sugars so all those are now safely in containers and after scrubbing out the shelves and discarding anything with a trace of moth on it I opened the damn thing last night to find another dozen or so. Grrrr the gap between the doors seems to allow them free entry- time to get really nasty with them LOL
While I was cleaning them out I found some of the little darlings copulating!!! Now fair go, food and sex are a great combo but I am not supporting the local moth population any longer!!!!
the quandary is how to repel them from the pantry - a nice stable temperatured place that is quiet etc- without using yukky chemicals. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Hello Robyn
Cedar chips, boric acid, they are suppose to be attracted to wine, so put a glass of wine and they will go in it..
Thats about all I could find..
I love ginger only with my meat or as a drink.. The flower is beautiful and would love to smell them. My DS has been trying to grow one for a few yrs not to sucessfully..
I'm glad the fluffy kitty is a comfort to you, we all need some of that...
Will look forward to see this facinating paper you are making sounds really interesting...