Tuesday, January 16, 2007

My adorable old car embarassed




Coming as I do from a family of rev heads, lead foots and petrol demons I am sometimes teased mightily for my attitude to cars which is A car is a car is a car!!! I dont mind admitting I enjoy driving- or I did enjoy it when I was clocking up in excess of a 1000km a week during my previous career and had the joy of company vehicles - no mess no fuss no worries but when I took the step to change careers and found myself car less. But cars are just the means to an end really and not an object of fascination to me that they seem to be to others- you know who you are *grin* nya nya nya nay


I managed pretty well for a bit but when my parents bought a new car for my mother and wanted to trade in the old but they were appalled at how little the old lady was worth. So I took her on for a bargain basement price because I knew every km that had been driven in her and I didnt mind that she was an 12 year old motor car, she wad comfortable and easy to drive. And Dad was annoyed the dealer would make more than a few grand more for the crumbs he offered.


Oddly enough this is the first 'female' car I have owned- the rest were referred to in the male gender- Horrible Horace, Brutus, Harry Hotrod,The Hashmobile - aint telling THOSE tales LOL- Bertie and Flash. Bertie wasnt a beetle and was my favourite car in all the world- I would have him back tomorrow- so maybe I am a bit like my family after all? LOL but the fairlane has always been the Old Lady.


But today the Old Lady had to suffer the ignominy of being towed for the first time in her life!! I was on my way to meet with the exhibition group- for the first time since August I was actually able to meet my obligations in that quarter but the warning light went on and being well trained by my Dad I pulled up as soon as it was safe to do so and found water leaping about 20 cms into the air once I opened the bonnet. Too much water leaking according to the RACV man and it was a tow job!


Even when I have been involved in a collision (2) I have been able to drive away- well sort of in one case LOL. So this was all new to me but a quick call to my dear mate Joe and we were off


I was dreading hearing the fateful words. Scrap heap but it turns out to be the thermostat housing so I am hoping to get her back in going order asap but it was the end of the plans for the meeting and it turns out I am running a workshop on the day of the next one.


Oh well hope to sort it out sooner rather than later




No comments: