Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Frogs



Hmmmn well who ever thought that I would hate a froggy but I did one night
this one frog was singing under the window ALL NIGHT!!

he kept saying STEADY MUM STEADY MUM
it probably had more to do with the peppermint tea I drank that evening BIG MISTAKE lol which led to a bout of insomnia.

Then another night there were frogs all over the place, we went cane toad racing which is a rather strange ritual that involves catching the dreaded Cane toad that is decimating the frog and wildlife populations in tropical Oz. If you're interested you can check out
http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/canetoad.htm
Anyway being ever so slightly mad Australians have a love hate relationship with these really UGLY critters and do weird stuff with them like race them. My nephew David runs races at the Ironbar in Port Douglas and we went along to watch and ended up being involved due to the machinations of his son Nathan.
The participants are meant to pick up their toad and kiss it- no princes come from that kiss let me tell you- and then they are place on the table and you are giving a paper tickler to get the thing moving and you catch it before it leaps onto the floor from the table and place it in the bucket. I came third in my race.
Then later that night back at the house we had a HUGE treefrog in the bath- he usually camps on the front verandah but that night he ended up in the bathroom instead and a few night previously another one was inside and had stayed hidden. And it began jumping around too
but I didnt really mind although for a companion it was all a bit too much

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Well I can't blame you I too am not crazy about frogs. My DB favorite food is frog legs YUCK..
I read the article and see what happens when humans get involed in nature.. hanks for sharing these lovely photos, I love them..