Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Tropical leaves



Needless to say I had a ball in the tropics during my visit. Because of the drought down here being up there was a complete balm to the soul. GREEN!!! It appeals to the Irishness in me for want of a better term.
I arrived in Cairns late on Thursday night and went for a quick stroll around town to stretch after the flight then to my room at the hotel and beddie byes. Up lateish next morning so I nearly missed brekkie but fed and watered and checked out to pick up my hired 'bomb' and on my way a bit further north.
I dropped in to touch base with my niece and nephew and make plans to catch up and ended up being booked for a cooking session with David. I am a pretty good cook if I say so myself ;-)then up the hill and the long winding road to my final destination to be greeted by a big bear hug and a glass of vino.
M.O.T.H. and I were up there back in August and while I loved it for the beauty etc I was not in the right frame of mind to really fully appreciate it. We did talk about moving then but the whole concept just seemed so huge. It didnt help matters that I ended up with a dose of flu at the time either which on top of my other health issue of the time made it all a bit too much. This visit had a couple of purposes, to see if I could handle the humidity- yes- and to unwind and relax- that took a couple of days longer really.
But after only an hour or so my sketch book was already on my knee while we talked and inspiration was bubbling to the surface. A good sign and a precursor for what was to come.
Saturday morning was spent looking at yachts and Port Douglas then a trip to Mareeba was slated to stock up on supplies. The local supermarkets were not that full because of the heavy rain cutting roads and supplies not getting through. On the way back one of the creeks was well up and we sloshed through with water coming in the doors of the ute- we hadnt taken the little car because of the rain thank goodness- and over the bonnet and washing like a tidal wave onto the windscreen- YYIKES! I didnt lose it - well not completely LOL- until I felt the clutch slip and I swore but was reassured by the calm of the driver saying we were through the deepest bit. PHEW.
Needless to say that needed a couple of drinks when we got back to the house.
My friend's house is glorious, this very talented man pooh poohed my observation it was a work of art but it is. He built it himself and his talent and taste made it a wonderful building and his partner's contributions of colour and details have turned it into a home to envy. The verandah is my favourite place. To sit there and listen to the rain falling gently while dressed in a sarong and tee shirt was just bliss. A sarong is SO comfortable I would love to be able to get away with wearing one most of the time.
The funked up shirts I did a couple of weeks ago now live in the area as pressies for nephews and others too.

Here are a couple of piccies of patterns that inspired me - I can see a lot of green in my work now LOL
More to follow- off to class now
/R

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Well it sounds like heaven to me and GREEN is my favorite color..
I'm so glad your feeling better..

bitchinatstitchin said...

Feeling like a million dollars at present